James D. Scott, Certified Family Law Specialist
“The reason for Mr. Scott’s success and reputation is really quite simple. He pours his heart and soul into every case. That, combined with his superior intellect and knowledge of the law, makes him a formidable force in the Courtroom. Lawyers fear him, Judges respect him, and clients are grateful they had him on their side.”
– Daniel M. Gilleon, Esq.
Why does the state bar certify legal specialist?
To help the public identify attorneys who have demonstrated proficiency in specialized fields of law. To encourage the maintenance and improvement of attorney competence in specialized fields of law.
What does it mean when an attorney is a “Certified” Specialist?
- Taken and passed a written examination in family law
- Demonstrated a high level of experience in family law
- Fulfilled ongoing education requirements
- Been favorably evaluated by the other attorneys and judges familiar with her or his work.
What Can a Certified Family Law Specialist Do For You?
- Make certain marital settlement agreements and or pre- or post-nuptial agreements are properly prepared.
- Identify tax issues which may affect the distribution of marital property and the payment of child, spousal or family support.
- Help the effectively deal with complex legal issues involving community property laws.
- Negotiate or mediate the difficult and emotional issues relating to legal separation, dissolution of marriage, and child custody.
- Protect clients who need restating orders for domestic violence.
- Handle matters relating to modification of child custody, spousal support, or child custody.
In What Other Fields Of Law Are Attorneys Certified By The State Bar?
- Appellate Law
- Criminal Law
- Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law
- Immigration and Nationality Law
- Personal and Small Business Bankruptcy Law
- Taxation Law
- Workers Compensation Law
*Legal Separation also known as a Suit for Separate Maintenance
Want to Learn More?
Learn more about being a Certified Legal Specialist in California.